The Auto Channel
Can't Find Community Plus in your Community?
The Free Site

Summer weather interim report card is in, find out how your city did

Summer weather interim report card is in, find out how your city didThe summer weather interim report card is in, find out how summer is trending in your backyard.


Suspect arrested after tow truck driver's window smashed in Vancouver parking lot dispute

Suspect arrested after tow truck driver's window smashed in Vancouver parking lot disputeVancouver police have arrested and are holding a suspect in custody in connection with an incident caught on video Monday, showing what police describe as an "act of violence" against a tow truck driver.The incident happened in the parking lot of a strip mall at 3490 Kingsway at around 11 a.m., near Boundary Road between East Vancouver and Burnaby, according to Vancouver Police Department Const. Tania Visintin."It was an act of violence. Anytime an act of violence occurs we are very concerned. You know it was in broad daylight. There were plenty of people around," said Visintin.Video captured by a witnesses at the scene, shows the suspect standing at the side of a tow truck with the Drake Towing company logo on the door, yelling at the driver to get out.Hammer in handThe suspect and the driver in the truck can be heard yelling at each other. Within seconds, the suspect walks past the witness and can be heard saying, "I have the weapon, no problem."When he returns he appears to have a hammer in hand, and approaches the driver's window and smashes it."What I do know is that it was a dispute over a parking space," said Visintin."I believe the suspect was not supposed to park in a certain spot in the parking lot. Therefore a tow truck was called and from there the incident escalated."CBC News spoke with someone who answered the phone at Drake Towing. That person said these kinds of violent incidents are a "one-off" and that this was the worst example he had seen in his 30-year career.The suspect was arrested and taken to jail, Visintin said.Charges including assault with a weapon, uttering threats, mischief, and possession of a dangerous weapon have been forwarded to the B.C. Crown Prosecution Service, though it's not clear if those charges have yet been laid."We're thankful that the police were called before anybody got hurt," said Visintin.


Melville, Sask., cleaning up after storm topples trees

Melville, Sask., cleaning up after storm topples treesMelville is cleaning up after a storm knocked over trees and downed branches all over the city Monday.The fire department says crews were busy after powerful winds hit, downing trees and power lines in the city, about 140 kilometres northeast of Regina.The city says there is a lot of debris to deal with, including a big tree limb that knocked out the fence at Melville's public pool.The storm also damaged a building under construction, knocking down the wood framing. It's expected city crews will be out throughout the week clearing out the debris.The city is waiving fees at the landfill for people disposing of their own branches.


Local MPP concerned Ontario hired private company for COVID-19 farm testing

Local MPP concerned Ontario hired private company for COVID-19 farm testingA local politician says it's very "concerning" that Doug Ford's government has employed a third-party company to perform COVID-19 testing on farms in Windsor-Essex. Switch Healthcare, a Canadian digital healthcare company, will perform testing in the region. The company, according to a spokesperson from the Ministry of Health, was identified by Ontario Health as a testing partner "as part of a competitive process" held in June. But Essex's NDP MPP Taras Natyshak said he sees a number of red flags —  primarily due to ties Switch lobbyist Jeff Silverstein has with Premier Ford. Silverstein previously worked as the communications director for the Progressive Conservative party and ran OntarioNewsNow — a platform Ford uses to share updates from his government. Not only that, but Natyshak said there's a "whole host of issues" that arise with awarding the contract to a private company. "Their answer to our region's crisis is to outsource what should be the responsibility of public health and the Ministry of Health to a company that no one knows anything about," he said. Natyshak said the government hasn't shared anything about who the company is, if the contract was tendered or sole-sourced, the terms of the contract, payment, along with whose responsibility it is to oversee the company. He's also worried that Switch does not have the experience to handle pandemic services. The MPP for Essex raised these concerns during a meeting at Queen's Park Monday, but was told that the government has "put all of their forces together" to prioritize the needs of migrant workers. Natyshak said he did not feel that his questions were fully answered. Local health unit not concerned CBC News reached out to Switch Health for comment. The company said to contact Ontario Health. Ontario Health did not respond in time for publication. Infectious diseases specialist Allison McGeer, who works at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital, doesn't think the public has any reason to be concerned as long as the company is capable. "What we need is good service to the migrant workers and better protection for them and there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with a private company doing testing," she said. "What's clearly important is that it is coordinated with the overall plan for protection of migrant workers and maintaining the farming business." She added that it's important the health unit is still in charge of who is organizing the testing and conducting it.  McGeer said resources are slim and there's not enough people in public health to accomplish everything."We are in the middle of a pandemic, we do need to get things done," she said. At the health unit's daily briefing, Windsor-Essex's medical officer of health Dr. Wajid Ahmed said he is "not concerned" about a private company stepping in to pick up the work. But Natyshak said he'd rather see a coordinated approach of public health resources and have the province use nurses in the region to help. He also wants more transparency."My hope is that [the government] provides some answers and accountability for us," he said. In particular, he wants the government to explain how the company was chosen and what processes Switch will use to test workers.


Parents raise alarm about illegal beach parties after 2 kids step on hot embers

Parents raise alarm about illegal beach parties after 2 kids step on hot embersParents are raising the alarm about illegal beach parties after two children burned their feet on hot embers from bonfires while on Toronto beaches this month. The first incident happened 10 days ago to a five-year-old boy at Cherry Beach. And this past Sunday, a five-year-old girl had severe burns after stepping on what appeared to be hot coal at Woodbine Beach, her mother said. "As a mom, you panic, that's the first reaction ... You know, 'Oh my goodness, what do I do?" Karen Kininsberg told CBC Toronto. "All you do is you watch your kid in pain for hours and you're pretty helpless to it — it's terrible."Kininsberg's daughter Eva was hurt just days after city authorities said they would crack down on beach parties — including issuing tickets for illegal bonfires due to a "significant increase" in the number of gatherings where police reported seeing many people not observing COVID-19 restrictions.Kininsberg said she took her kids to Woodbine Beach in the east end because they were told the water was shallow and safe for the kids to play in. But then, she heard a scream. She looked over only to hear children yelling "Fire" and Eva limping towards her.. She said the family then took Eva to a doctor. Luckily, her child's foot began to heal and looked better the following day,.'He wouldn't stop screaming'On July 4, Lara Cotnam Pagano had a similar experience with her five-year-old son Mason, who suffered second-degree burns at Cherry Beach.He stepped on "hot embers of a buried campfire," she said."All of a sudden, I heard my five-year-old scream, 'Fire, fire! I stepped in fire!'" said Pagano."He wouldn't stop screaming..It was a sound that will terrorize me forever."She then ran and put his feet into the lake, hoping it would relieve the pain. But after calling the pediatrician, Pagano said she was told to take Mason to SickKids where he had to spend the night.In addition to the crackdown on beach parties, the city has also announced that parking at three popular beaches — Marie Curtis Park, Humber Bay West Park and Cherry Beach — will be restricted after 7 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Const. Alex Lee told CBC Toronto Thursday that people were not following physical distancing restrictions and that police are continuing to issue tickets, not only for bonfires but for loud parties, DJs, crowds and fireworks."Over the last several weekends, the City of Toronto has seen a significant increase in the number of people at Toronto beaches late into the evening who are not practising physical distancing," the city said in a release issued Thursday. Pagano, for her part,  urges anyone who goes to the beach to follow the rules and keep everyone safe. "All I want is for parents to be educated and to understand that this is what has been happening at city beaches," Pagano said. "I hope that the city puts more regulations in place, maybe more people patrolling and maybe more fines if these fires are left unattended."


Wednesday 15th of July 2020 12:58:34

Community

Click Here to view Community

Peter Klein

Canadian Forces
Canada's #1 Choice
Stunt World 1
Stunt World 1
World Famous De Lachance Wooden Automotive Products
Community Show
Boys and Girls Club
Vancouver 2010 Olympics
Minute Man Press
BC Institute for Co-Operative Studies
Get the exposure you need
Canadian Cancer Society
Canadian Mental Health Association
Kids Help Phone
Copyright 1990-2012 Community Plus - Advertising and Marketing for the 21st Century - Terms and Conditions - Contact Community Plus